Friday, October 8, 2010

plans out the window


Today is the day I was to return to the Bahamas. I had every thing I need to survive remote island life neatly packed. I rushed to assemble six months worth of frocks, shampoo, shoes, toothpaste, sunscreen, and all the other little necessities of life. San Salvidor Island has no stores, no not a one, so everything must be carefully prepared.



Imagine my surprise when two days before my return flight I discover that I am not cleared to return to work, due to a mixup between my doctors, and workman's comp. I was in shock, there was no doubt in my mind that I was going back today... but here I am, now with two more months to go.


It was just as much of a shock when I had to leave the Bahamas unexpectedly last May. Since January of last year, I have worked as a designer and dancer for the entertainment department of Club Med. During a dance performance gone very wrong, I broke my wrist and I had to come back to the states for surgery. At first I was heartbroken. I couldn't believe the injustice of it all. I didn't want to leave.


The surgery was tough, but the time that has followed will go down in memory as one of my most magical summers... so many beautiful experiences, I otherwise would have missed. I devoured the bliss of summer in all it's glory.... honey suckle, wild berries, emerald leaves, fireflies, Elmwood, wild flowers, and the love of baby kittens. I found myself surrounded by the love of my family... curling up with my mom like two peas in a pod, dancing in the rain, driving with my dad to New Hampshire swapping stories the whole way, and travels with Amy dreaming, scheming, laughing, creating and growing closer than ever.


So things are not going as I planed... makes me wonder what other unexpected magic fall has in store.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's ironic how the unwelcome surprises that bring the greatest grief contain the seeds of unexpected joys.

This has been a time you will cherish. Clearly, you've extracted the best from the worst. That's a true sign of the resiliency of your character. Embracing "what is" to reinvent "what is".
You find beauty everywhere.
It's beautiful being home.
It's beautiful in the Bahamas!

The Bahamas will wait for you and will welcome you with it's magical gentle breezes, glorious sunsets and refreshing waters. Think of all those interesting people you will meet. Your experiences of Now will help you be more present Then.

In the meantime.... We get to celebrate 2 months of the heaven of fall and family!

Anonymous said...

I adore that photo of you with your long limbs wide open to embrace all that beauty.
All that life gives you.

Perfect image of YOU!

Eleni said...

Ha ha, I've had one of those years too: horrendous misfortune screwing up all the best laid plans...nothing wrong with life giving you a little kick up the backside once in a while to remind you what's really important :)

Still..you must be gutted about the Bahamas!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...